Tuesday, July 14, 2009

When there is no answer

There used to be a book called "when there is no doctor". This book contains information on what to do when a medical condition arose and there was no doctor nearby or he /she was on her way. I remeber it because when i was younger,now am just young, i would pilfer it from my dad's collection of books to read it. I think the first time i took liberty and took it was in class four. It was a fascinating read and i still think it still is to anyone who comes into contact with it. At the time i was reading it,sorry, looking at the pictures in it, I thought that it was a pornographic book,(so many naked men and women diagrams and photos).My dad used to read it every so often and once in a while my mum too.I wondered why my mum had beaten the crap out of me when she had found me with a coloured copy of play boy that my elder cousin had lent me amid giggles of his girlfriend. He was in high school. He was named after the same person as me and so he saw no harm in introducing me to the world of adults!! I indeed felt very adult. I had seen naked full length photos of grown up women,even though all were wazungus. On the day my mum had beaten me i had taken it to school to show my friends and taunt the girls who refused to play cha mama na baba with me about how they will eventually look albeit with a rather beautiful colour than the ones in the magazine. My newly employed teacher,lets call her juliet,got it with my friends.At the time she was hot tempered and beat every one without mercy.The parents said it was because she didnt have children of her own. I think she must have been dumped by a man or she just plain hated kids and teaching. All my friends were beaten and all told her it was mine. I think mine was a bigger crime as i was taken to the headmasters office. The teacher(juliet) went in and took some time showing the head teacher the magazine...i could see how he looked at the magazine,then me..and then stared at my class teacher breasts and licked his lips. My teacher continued narrating how she found it witth the boys and how they were taunting the girls.She said that the action of the boys had made the girls cry and that made the school girl child unfriendly. She suddenly asked the headteacher what should be done to me,twice, before the headteacher looked her in the eye,smiled and asked "hmmm?". My class teacher stomped out of the office looking red,as she was one of those ladies my grand father told me not to ever marry...very light skinned......sorry grandad i dont know if i will follow your advice.After all you never took it yourself.Look at all the three to four wives you have...all light.But if i find one i love,yellow,beige,brown,grey,green,black..it wont matter,if am ready i will marry her,if she can cope with my foibles and accepts me. "You go bring your mother!.Fokkof!!(it is when i was in class seven that i learnt what fokkof meant- fuck off, in vernacular. i still wonder whether it was directed at me or the headteacher.). Now now!!". So i went off and got my mother...who almost cried with shame when she saw the magazine and told the teacher to do as she deemed fit. I was given the caning of the year.I did not understand the why i was beaten yet my cousin read the magazine,the headteacher kept it and once i found him looking at it with red eyes and i saw several of the male teachers carry it home to read. When i got home,my mother beat me up again. I thanked God that Dad only came on weekends otherwise i would be dead today.

Now i still dont have an answer as to why beautiful nude ladies in a magazine brought such anger in my teachers and my mom,yet they all looked at them. There are many things that happen around that i cant quite fathom or find an answer to. All people try to give answers but none is really convincing at all. I am in doldrums about many things. I took the advice of a certain philosopher that in order to know the truth,You must doubt everything you know. So i started with doubting who my father was.....i observed over time,compared photos and asked my mum.Eventually i decided that my father is also my dad. we looked similar..at least in certain aspects of the face and temperament.So i decided he is my dad or a blood relative of his is.
I carried on and still carry on this doubting to date,not my parentage..am certain of it now,but of many other things.These are the things am saying have no answer.When there is no answer, what does one do?Is there a book on what to do when there is no answer? I am still looking for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment